I am aware that I breathe deeply and fully throughout my day. Not only does it help to calm and center me but there are also a long list of physical benefits I reap from simply focusing on my breathing control.
The Science & the Benefits…
Studies show that the practice of deep diaphragmatic (or ‘belly breathing’) is one that provides a wealth of optimal health and wellness benefits.
People who practice deep breathing as little as 10 minutes per day can easily reap the following benefits:
- Lower chances of developing cancer (by as much as 400%!)
- Reduced chance of developing heart disease
- Reduced bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Improved good cholesterol levels (HDL)
- Reduced stress (lower levels of the stress-inducing hormone: cortisol)
- Reduced cravings for junk food
- Reduced chances of diabetes (by strengthening the insulin beta receptor sites)
- Improved quality of sleep
- Improved lymphatic flow – which can lengthen the life span of cleansing cells
- Slowed aging (by increasing the secretion of the human growth hormone)
- Optimal immune system function (by strengthening the t-cell formation and improving the lymphocyte production.)
- Improved mood by increasing the serotonin and endorphin levels
- Improved concentration by increasing the blood flow to the pre-frontal cortex of the brain
- Improved quality of meditation – by changing the brain wavelength activity from beta to alpha wavelengths.
All in all, studies show that those who practice deep belly breathing enjoy overall better health and well-being.
In order to start reaping these benefits – you need to know how to perform diaphragmatic breathing. Here are some pointers to get you started:
- Sit in a comfortable chair
- Close your eyes
- Breathe slowly through your nose and make sure you feel your belly expanding with each breath.
- Once your lungs are fully expanded hold your breath for 6-12 seconds.
- Exhale through your mouth and make sure to push all the air back out of your lungs.
- Repeat the cycle at least 10 times.
Seems simple right? It is!
So think about it – if something is so quick, easy and possible to do nearly anytime throughout your day and yet also provides so many wonderful and lasting health benefits….why wouldn’t you add it to your routine?
Right now, think about a few times during your day that you can start adding diaphragmatic breathing to your routine, and reaping the wonderful benefits that follow!
To Your Best Health,
To Receive Quality Info Like This Straight To Your Email: Click Me!